I've been working on additional vegetation. My level is full of trees and grass but there's nothing in between. Some weeds, bushes, flowers or mushrooms would be fantastic. Therefore I chose to make berries, red cloves, daisies and general unspecified weeds. These are quite common for the Eastern Europe area. I remember trying to eat them when I was a kid.
Now that I look at them, they all seem awfully bright and saturated in comparison to the rest of the vegetation.
There isn't really many daisies in the forest but putting a few won't hurt and they will break the green monotony.
I also just noticed the berries are cut short. I was wondering why they looked so weird. Another annoying thing to fix.
I actually took the trouble of editing normals this time. Obviously there's a huge difference in 3Ds Max but I can't seem to have the same effect in engine.
Setting up vegetation for touch and detail bending suddenly became extremely easy.
There isn't really much movement in my level yet so I decided to spend a day working on pests and sounds. Because who would I be if I didn't fiddle unnecessarily.
I found out I have a bit of a phobia. It pains when I look at these two. I can't believe I actually managed to make this texture. It took a lot of staring and adjusting. Also my body felt itchy for few hours.
The flying pepper caster you see on the left is actually a firefly. I want to put a bunch of those in a jar and use it as a lamp.
At first I wanted to use boids in Cryengine but this wouldn't give me much control over them. I want them to fly within a specified area and boids use more random movements. I'm probably wrong and there's probably a really simple way of doing this but I'm too tired and short on time to look for solution. And research for Cryengine takes ages. Therefore I animated each of these little bugs in 3Ds Max and I made sure they stayed withing the jar. I'll import them tomorrow and hopefully it will be as easy as the tutorial says.