Monday 3 February 2014

FMP: Modelling vegetation

Creating vegetation is probably the most enjoyable thing I have done for this project so far. I can allow myself for a little bit more since Cryengine is a powerful tool and can handle much more drawcalls than, let's say, UDK.


Instead of making a grass texture out of a photo I thought it would be better to just create my own and bake it down.

I used Twist, Bend and FFD modifiers to change shape of individual blades.






















I rendered them as a 2048 x 2048 sheet and the only thing left was to change the hue of each bunch to give it a bit of variety. The good thing about this technique is that you instantly, together with diffuse render, get an alpha image. Therefore I didn't have to waste time to mask it out manually in Photoshop.


There is so much space left in this texture sheet; I will probably add some weeds later on.















*   *   *

The rest of vegetation is still in progress but I'm quite pleased with how it's turning out.








































1 comment: